Our Scout Troop…
The Scout Section is for young people, aged between 10½ and 14 years. A young person can come in to the Troop at 10 and may stay until they are 14½ years old. The Scout Troop is the third Section in our Scout Group.
Scouts take part in a wide range of activities as part of their programme. “Participation” is the key approach and for the Scout who wants to be recognised for his or her achievements there are a number of Challenges Awards and Activity Badges.
What don’t Scouts do? At this age, we encourage girls and boys to take responsibility for themselves and each other, with older members leading a small team. They like being with friends and participating fully in the adventure of life.
In the Troop, scouts:
- Develop leadership skills
- Learn emergency aid
- Spend nights away – the summer camp is often the highlight of the year
- Help others in the community
- Cook, both at home and at camp
- Adventurous and sporting activities – anything from abseiling to zorbing
- Learn survival skills
Being outdoors is important and half the Programme is given over to taking part in both the traditional Scouting skills, such as camping, survival and cooking as well as the wide range of adventurous activities, anything from abseiling to kayaking. Scouting is also about being with friends, as part of a team, participating fully in the adventure and opportunities of life.
- Horley Scouts meet Wednesday Night 7 – 8.30pm
- Salfords Scouts meet Monday Night 7.30 – 9pm